If you are receiving a Yahoo!Xtra Alert message when attempting to log in to Yahoo!NZ webmail or if you suspect that your @xtra.co.nz email address has been compromised and used to send SPAM email, follow the steps below to change your password. This will resecure your account.
Click or tap the camera icon to see an example of the Yahoo!Xtra Alert page
Change your password
- Close any email applications on your mobile device or enable flight mode
- Complete Change or Forgotten Password online form. It can take a few minutes for Yahoo!New Zealand to update their system
If you have trouble with your User Name or security questions, fill in this online form and we will help you
Only complete this step if you use your email on PC (Outlook, Thunderbird), Mobile or Tablet
- Update the password on your computer's email application and your Mobile if you use it for email
- It is likely you will get an error message, if this happens follow Confirm your webmail settings are correct below before trying to Sync again
Confirm your webmail settings are correct
We recommend you follow these steps, even if you don't use webmail. Once a spammer has your password, they are able to access your webmail and change settings that will allow them to keep sending SPAM emails long after you change your password.
Click or tap on the screenshots ( icon) to guide you if you get stuck.
- Log in to webmail with your email address and new password
Note: For security purposes you may be presented with a CAPTCHA code you need to fill out to access your emails
- Under Options select Mail Options
- Select POP & Forwarding, in the left-hand menu
- Confirm that Access Yahoo! Mail via POP is selected
If you are forwarding emails confirm the details are correct
- Select Mail Accounts in the left-hand menu to view all linked mail accounts
For all unrecognised mail accounts, select and click Trash can
- Confirm the Reply-to address is empty or has another email address you own
- Select Vacation Response, on the left-hand menu
- Ensure Enable auto-response during these dates (inclusive) is not ticked
- Select Signature on the left-hand menu, ensure signature is correct
If you don't want to use a signature, change the drop down box to Don't use a signature
- Click in the top-left corner
- Select Account Info
- You may be asked for your password, if so enter it and click Sign In
- Select Edit Contact Information
You may be asked for your password again, if so enter it and click Sign In
- Under Alternate Email Yahoo!New Zealand alternate email addresses, on the right, select Edit
- For all unrecognised mail accounts, click Delete next to it
If you still require assistance call our helpdesk 0800 22 55 98.
If you are overseas you can direct dial us +64 9 356 8672 or find a free call number.